I began this project initially after a charity day at work a few years ago. The process took a very long time and coloured the background with a tint rather than completely replacing the background with a comic style background. I also removed quite a lot of shading, a process I then stopped doing as I preferred the increased detail.
Now a few years later I've got better at the processes I use for these images but the time involved in each image is usually anywhere between 5 and 15 hours from start to finish. I always try to start with my own images and the best image I can get in terms of colour, lighting and sharpness.
I usually do a little bit of editing, to enhance the saturation as this makes the comic style conversion more vibrant.